Sunday, September 23, 2012

Hosting Friends and Learning about Philadelphia

One of the best things about being in Philadelphia is the location. Its accessibility to cities like DC, NYC, Baltimore, and Boston makes Philly a nice weekend stop over for East Coasters. Despite my schedule and all that I've had to do, I've managed to play host to friends for two weekends. Its been incredibly great and surprisingly manageable. At first, I was a bit worried because I didn't think that I would be able to really show them what this amazing city has to offer. However, it was surprisingly easy. Two weekends ago, two friends came for two days and we didn't do much but talk and catch up, but it was very nice. This past weekend, one of my good buddies came up; we went to grad school mixers and hung out on Penn's campus. It was funny,because I couldn't meet up with my friend at first because I had a GSE meeting at the time of his arrival. Ironically, as the GSE admissions group is taking a group photo outside, I see my friend and my housemate sitting outside and eating lunch. Anyways, we had a solid weekend. It's funny because I was kind of worried about losing touch with my friends from college. However, many of my friends are hitting me up and asking to stop over whenever they are in town.

I really enjoyed showing friends around the city and learning about it myself. Its always interesting when you're playing host in a place that you're still trying to figure out. In some ways, these weekends instigate similar feelings to student teaching. When I am trying to help students learn, I am learning from them. Likewise, I found myself learning new tidbits about places that I thought I knew quite well.

Anyways, as the saying goes, "I am not a teacher, only a fellow student."

No comments:

Post a Comment