Sunday, December 2, 2012

Principal's List

All of my little cousin's made Principal's List! My family is so excited for them and are celebrating their hard work and academic successes.

Of late, I've thinking about whether or not we should celebrate the fact that they are getting straight As. While academic marks are often indicative of many positive qualities such as organization, drive, and intellect, they aren't always an accurate reflection of learning. I spent some time today talking to an auntie and one of my cousins about the incredible work that she has produced last marking period and it is clear that she has learned a lot. However, I am not sure if any of us has actually celebrated her learning in the same way that we celebrated her As.

What would it look like to celebrate learning? How could we, as a family, celebrate the expansion of intellectual facilities among the youngins at home? And backtracking just a tad, I'm also wondering if it is even a bad thing to celebrate their academic accomplishments via report cards.

All of these little kiddos put 100% into their work. They come home everyday and the first thing they do is take out their folders and complete their homework for the night. They are very diligent and organized with all of their work. Most importantly, they are aware of their facilities but remain humble in their talents and accomplishments. I think they deserve a reward and report card time is a good way to receive it. I'm just wondering what does this do for their perception and value of learning.

Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment