Monday, October 8, 2012

Happy Indigenous People's Day

Today, I have the day off and while I normally would enjoy an extra day to sleep in late and catch up on work, I am not such a happy camper today because while I mourn Christopher Columbus day, others celebrate it. To know that my daily routine, my productivity, my peace of mind is interrupted to recognize oppression and misrepresenting histories is upsetting.

Well, I do have class today and for that I am grateful. As I express my personal dislike for what I believe to be a celebration of genocide, I want to use this forum to celebrate the resilience, beauty, and strength of Indigenous Peoples.

Happy Indigenous People's Day.

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/10/8/on_columbus_day_indigenous_urge_celebration

No comments:

Post a Comment