Sunday, November 4, 2012

Still Looking for a Church

I am a devout Christian and church has always played an important part in my life. I do believe that there is more to Faith than just a physical building, but I can't deny that for me, the space, the community, and the spirit of the space really provides me with something that gets me through my week.

Well, I've found it quite challenging to find a church home in Philadelphia. Its been quite a journey, actually. Week after week, I've been traveling to church after church and at this point, I'm getting a little worried. I'm a particular person and so, I'd like to find a church home with a predominantly black congregation  young folk, progressive thinking, and community involvement. It's Philly, so you wouldn't think this would be hard. For me, its been an incredibly difficult task. Barbershop. Found within five minutes (literally right afte moving on my block). Jamaican food spot. Found that mug in a week. Gym. Right across from GSE, saw it before even stepping foot into GSE. The right church? Have yet to find it.

Today, I wanted to go to Enon, a phenomenal church that I've encountered via web sermons and through news articles; however, I woke up too late to make the early service (and its about a 1.25 hr commute one way); I also had a planning session that intersected the second service.

What to do? What to do? What to do?

I've been back home in Jersey so much that I've been going to services at my home church (shout to my church St. Paul's Missionary Baptist Church- I know a few of y'all follow my blog, woo woo! lol). My church home is great, but as time is cutting on my ability to travel back to Jersey, I really need to settle and find a church home here. Forgive me, but it kinda feels like I'm dating and looking for the one. "She" has to be lively and exciting; open to all races but prefer the black gospel style of worship; She can't be too big; She must be involved in the community; she must be young in age (as in, the average age for members is under 65.. I'll take 70 at this point); She must love God.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    There are some great churches both in Philly and in NJ that I would like to recommend. In Philly, there is a church called Epiphany Fellowship. It is located at 16th and Diamond, and the pastor is Eric Mason. Here is the link to their website: http://www.epiphanyfellowship.org

    In NJ, I would highly recommend attending The Perfecting Church in Washington Township. The pastor is Kevin Brown. Here is a link to their site: http://www.theperfectingchurch.org.

    If you ever have "downtime" go and check out a couple of their sermons on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete