Wednesday, November 14, 2012

TAG Session with The Attic

Yesterday, I attended a training session hosted by The action Group in Philadelphia and The Attic, an LGBTQA (the A is for Ally) Group for Students and Young People. The session was an incredibly eye opener for me. As an educator, I've been mystified in thinking about diversity in terms of sexual orientation of students. What happens when blatant homophobia is demonstrated in my classroom? What do you do when a student feels complete unsafe? How do you handle a situation where administration is completely unsupportive? These are all questions that educators deal with.

The session was led by some amazing young men and women in the city of Philadelphia. I learned a lot. Perhaps the most useful piece of information I received involved the TOOL-Kit- a how to guide for teachers, administrators, and community organizers can combat homophobia and promote safe spaces. It was super cool to see fellow educators and community members discuss and plan alongside the young people from The Attic.

Check out their site and see the great work that they're doing.

http://www.atticyouthcenter.org

No comments:

Post a Comment