Monday, January 28, 2013

Educon! Disneyland for Educators

Pardon me for always comparing things to Disneyland. I didn't really have that type of childhood and that's all I know in terms of something that is really awesome, so I am going to use Disneyland. Yes, Educon is Disneyland.

Every year, Science Leadership Academy hosts a conference that attracts folk from across the country and furthermore, world. Educators and administrators alike visit SLA classes, attend conference sessions, sit on panels, and engage in meaningful convo about progressive, student-centered education. From technology to social justice, an array of topics are explored.

It was a relief to enter one of the Educon sessions after the abysmal time I had taking that awfully bias Praxis test (aside: 130 questions to test my knowledge of history and 2 questions on African GEOGRAPHY and not one question about the Black experience. Thanks for telling me that I have no history, Praxis exam. Much love -_-). Anyways... after taking that dreadful Praxis test, it was nice to attend amazing workshops. I attended one workshop about using digital text. The presenter did a great job explaining how digital texts (i.e. video, film, youtube) can be used in the classroom. Also, the people in attendance also did a phenomenal job sharing ideas and engaging in discussion.  I also attended a session about teaching empathy in the 21st century- in this session, we discussed the ways in which students can use local and global issues to simultaneously build socioemotional skills and an awareness of the world in which they live in. Also, I was on a panel!  Being the new-guy here, I sort of felt like Michelle from Destiny's Child (what business did I have serving on a panel, like I knew something about something lol) , but I had a ton of fun!

Please believe if I am in Philly next year, I will definitely be in attendance at next year's conference. I would encourage everyone to check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment